uTorrent was very slow for me until recently I applied a few tweaks. Hereâ€™s what I did.
Note: Some of the settings mentioned below are optimized for 256k connection. If you want to calculate the optimal settings for your connection, check at the end of this tutorial. But I suggest you to read the entire tutorial for guidance on other settings.
First go to Options>Preferences>Network
- Under â€˜Port used for incomming connectionsâ€˜ enter any port number. It is best to use a port number above 10000. I use 45682.
- Randomize port each time Âµtorrent starts: UNCHECKEDI leave this unchecked because I have a router. If you do not have a router or a firewall, and want extra security,check this option.
- Enable UPnP port mapping (Windows Xp or later only): UNCHECKEDI leave this unchecked because I have experienced it slowing down speeds. It is not needed if you manually port forward.
- Add Âµtorrent to Windows Firewall exceptions (Windows XP SP2 or later only): UNCHECKED (do this only if you have windows firewall disabled)
- Global Maximum upload rate (kb/s): [0: unlimited]: 22 (for 256k connection)
- Protocol Encryption: ENABLEDI would recommend everyone to enable this. This can help increase speeds with many ISPs.
- Allow incoming Legacy Connections: CHECKED
- Global Maximum Number of Connections: 130 (for 256k connection)This number should not be set too low or the number of connections made to your torrents will be limited. Setting it too high may cause too much bandwidth to be used and can cause slowdowns.
- Maximum Number of connected peers per torrent: 70 (for 256k connection)If you see that the peers connected to a specific torrent are exactly this number, or very close, increase this number to improve speeds.
- Number of upload slots per torrent: 3 (for 256k connection)This depends on how much you want to upload to other users. Do not set too low or it may affect download speeds.
- Use additional upload slots if upload speed <90%: CHECKED
- Maximum number of active torrents: 2 (for 256k connection)
- Maximum number of active downloads: 1 (for 256k connection)
- Enable DHT Network: CHECKEDThis is recommended to be checked to improve speeds. More people will be available for sharing if this is checked.
- Enable DHT for new torrents: CHECKED
- Enable Peer Exchange: CHECKED
- Enable scrapping: CHECKED
- Pre-allocate all files: CHECKED
- Append .!ut to incomplete files: UNCHECKED
If you use Windows XP SP2, patch tcpip.sys with LvlLordâ€™s Event ID 4226 Patcher to get better performance.
DO NOT CHANGE THIS OPTION unless you have Windows XP SP2 and have patched tcpip.sys.
If you have a firewall
- Open up the options/preferences/settings for the firewall - usually your firewall will have an icon to click in the taskbar
- Look for the keywords â€œallow listâ€ or â€œprogramsâ€
- Add the application you want to give access to the internet
- Make sure to save your settings when you are done